Bioinformatics and Biostatistics
This further education course is open to those who are interested in the fields of biology and informatics. Good English skills, expanded knowledge of the German language (at least B1 level), a solid basic understanding of biology and mathematics, and enjoyment of working with IT applications are required. You should have your center of your life in Berlin/Germany and ideally also plan your future here. Our target group especially includes college and university graduates in biology, chemistry, informatics, mathematics, physics and medicine. Any other interested parties may also participate after individual assessment.
1. Data Processing and Programming
- LINUX essentials
- Scripting language Shell within LINUX
- Programming language Python
- Programming methods and object-orientated programming
- Pseudocode and data structures
2. Bioinformatics and Biological Databases
- Principles of mathematics and molecular biology
- Biological databases
- Database management
- Biopython: web services
- Sequence databases and interaction databases
3. Applied Bioinformatics
- Sequence analysis (dot plots, alignment, BLAST etc.)
- Molecular phylogeny
- Structural bioinformatics, software for the visualisation of structures
- Systems biology, next generation sequencing
4. Applied Statistics
- Principles of statistics and R
- Multivariate statistics
- Statistics in bioinformatics
- Markov chain implementation in Python
5. Individual project phase
- Put your new knowledge into practice during three months in Berlin-Brandenburg! We support you in the search for suitable institutions and accompany you during your project phase via tutorials.
After the successful completion of this further education course, you will receive a certificate from CQ Beratung+Bildung GmbH.
With your acquired bioinformatics interface knowledge, you will have improved your career opportunities in enterprises and research institutions specialising in biotechnology, pharmacy and medicine. Not only will the work in gene and protein analysis and in the development of pharmaceutical agents be open to you, but this course will also open up opportunities in the area of software development and data evaluation for you.
Course Start and Funding
13.05.2020 - 17.12.2020
Teaching time: Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm
The price is 9.926,28 EUR (VAT exempt, incl. teaching material) for 819 teaching units à 45 min and 400 internship units à 60 min. The courses take place in physical classroom trainings and not online.
For people seeking work, 100% funding by the German government (Arbeitsagentur) is possible by means of training vouchers (Bildungsgutschein). Course-code: 962/94/18
Upon completion, an average of 75% percent of participants manage to find an entry into their specific job market.